I don't understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little - if only out of politeness. And then, you never know, maybe that's the day she has a date with destiny. And it's best to be as pretty as possible for destiny. -- Coco Chanel

Thursday 25 March 2010

Memories of Italy


My dream holiday simply has to be Italy, without a doubt it is the most beautiful place I have ever seen.

I know I may not have had chance to travel the world yet, but I can’t imagine much topping off my holiday to Lake Garda in Italy. Don’t get me wrong, some people may say Lake Garda is for old people. Take it from me- its most definitely not.
The night before I set off I simply couldn’t contain my excitement. As I packed the last of my carefully planned outfits into my suitcase, I couldn’t help but keep glancing in the mirror as my St Tropez tan gradually developed. My eyes just aren’t used to this kind of colour on my skin; usually I’m white with a slight tinge of blue.

Hurray! Eventually, we arrived in Italy and as we stepped off the plane the sun hit us. We drove along the lake that is gazed upon by gloriously tall emerald mountains to reach our destination at a small and friendly hotel called Hotel Eden. It’s most definitely not the Ritz, but it is authentic Italian looking and after all it’s the Italian culture that I’m here to experience.

After unpacking, we decided to explore the small town we’re staying in. Cobbled narrow streets and distinctive Italian buildings led to a promenade that was full with traditional colourful bars and cafes. The view across the lake is much too beautiful to describe and the town is amazingly atmospheric.

The trip to Venice was long but well worth it, especially for the gondola ride. I felt like I was royalty riding in one of those crimson velvet lined gondola’s- well almost... minus the other 2 couples who had to share the gondola with us. One day I will be rich enough to have my own gondola.

Milan was a slight disappointment in terms of shopping, I was all hyped up for what I thought would the best shopping experience of my life. So there I was with 300 Euros hidden away in my bra and all I was faced with was one designer shop after the other; Nice to admire but certainly not in my budget.

On a boat trip on the lake I could take in the scenic views that surrounded me. On arriving at Sirmoine we notice the many cafes that align the windy streets. I marvel at the many different types of tasty ice-cream available. We walk up to the highest point in the town, which is the ancient castle- the views from up here were spectacular. However, my main goal was to escape the wasps after my ice-cream!

As the end of the week neared closer I just wished I had booked 2 weeks, there were so many more places in Italy I wanted to explore. Knowing I won’t be able to afford another holiday like this for a while is sad but hopefully when I become a famous journalist in the future I may get the opportunity to explore the whole region.

No comments:

Post a Comment